Saturday, January 23, 2016

Grandma

The 



My Grandma had been sick for a long time. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 12 years ago. The three pictures above were from my bridal luncheon where everyone was asked to stand up and say a funny story or memory. When it was her turn, she declined. I understood completely! I wouldn't have wanted to get up and talk in front of anyone either! But after everyone had their turn, she said she wanted to say something. She stood up and told me she was proud of me. It's one of the last memories I have of her where her mind was clear enough to say something like that to me. It's been a very long battle and I'm happy she's now in peace. But I sure to do miss her. She used to mail me newspaper articles to read and cartons of orange tic-tacs. I used to pay her $100/month for my car and she would tell my Grandpa she cashed the check, but she would actually throw the check away. We would go to the mall and she would tell me all the clothes and shoes I picked out looked like they belonged in space. Before we took this picture she said, "hang on, let me tuck in my chins." She was funny, sweet and kind. She had a good heart. 

One of my funniest Grandma stories happened after she had been diagnosed. We were in Omaha visiting for my Grandparents' 50th anniversary and she had left a lot of the planning to my Grandpa because of her memory. We were in the pool swimming, talking and listening to some music. She seemed so relaxed and was really going with the flow. She started humming to a song that was playing and was dancing with her hands (she had a tube around her so all I could see was her hands). I smiled at her because she looked cute, and she turned to me, still dancing and said, "you should see my ass!"

I love you and miss you very much, Grandma. I feel blessed by these memories of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment