Kaden turned 6 on Saturday, March 8th. It's so fun to see his excitement knowing that his birthday is coming. Every morning he says, "Hey Mommy, let's do the countdown!" and we counted the number of days till his birthday.
We had his party the same day, and I was feeling really sad about having the party during spring break! I didn't think too much about it when I booked the party, but it seemed like one by one his friends were responding that they couldn't come because they would be out of town. I need to remember to have his party a week early next year!
But Kaden and his friends seemed to have a really great time. We had ClubScientific come to do space themed experiments. They shot off all sorts of rockets and did experiments with AlkaSeltzer and Mentos/Coke. The kids got to take turns doing the experiments and it turned out to be the perfect amount of people. For the first year Kaden was so excited to open his presents and wanted to do it at the end of his party (usually we don't make the other kids suffer through that!).
For me it was just fun to sit back and watch how different Kaden is at 6 than he was last year. He talked to the science guy the minute he walked in the door, he asked questions, he participated in all the activities, bossed his friends around and genuinely had a great time.
Kaden has changed a lot in the past year, and I honestly have to say that it's been a rough year! I feel like OT really helped Kaden with his sense of confidence after he was able to accomplish some physical goals. But the confidence was a little bit of a double-edged sword. Instead of being scared to do activities and being glued to my side, Kaden grew to be loud and quite frankly a little obnoxious (I say this in a loving way...). He is more physical with Cam and not as patient. He gets in trouble in school (NEVER would I thought I'd be writing that in my blog!) for talking when he's not supposed to, getting another little kid a bit riled up, and he has even needed to be on a behavior chart!
But with the bad comes the good. Kaden is helpful and has always been. He loves to be included in projects around the house or being in charge of helping with Ryane while I'm trying to get something done. He is so lovey and is a very good snuggler. The last few months we pushed back his bedtime till 7:30 and he comes downstairs with us after we get the other two to bed. I've really enjoyed our time to read books, answer questions and talk about the day. It seems like sometimes all that stuff gets lost in the day and time slips away. Kaden is kind hearted and really wants the best for people. When I watched him and Cam this past weekend at the Purim carnival, Kaden constantly had his hands on Cam's shoulders and was showing him where to stand in line, when it was his turn, where to put his shoes, etc. Kaden has a wonderful sense of humor and picks up on sarcasm really well. It's fun to joke around with him and he gives it right back.
I feel guilty and bad a lot of times because I am hardest on Kaden. The other day he asked me why I treat him differently and I was just honest. "You're the oldest and I need you to help me throughout the day and set a good example for the littler kids. I was the oldest in my family and I had to do the same thing." He just said thanks and smiled and walked out of the room. He gets it. But I need to cut him a little slack every once in awhile, too. He's a good kid and I love him to pieces.
Happy 6th Birthday, Boo!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



What a COOL idea for a party!!! So fun! :)
ReplyDelete