This month's photo session was not an easy one. I had to re-write her eight months sign 3 times. I had lined up some guest appearances (Kaden, Cam and Daddy) and of course, in true Birdie fashion, she gives Daddy the smile.
As Ryane turned 8 months old, I started feeling a little conflicted. I have said before that my favorite baby stage is when they learn to sit up, but before they can crawl. I have always found it fascinating how the the world changes for them. They can see everything so much more clearly than laying on their backs, and their style of play changes drastically. That being said, I feel the need to push Ryane to the next stage... not for me, and not for her, but because it seems like that is what every other 8 month old baby is doing now! I love how happy Ryane is to just sit still, look around and play with what is in front of her. If a toy gets too far for her to reach, she moves on to something else. She's a happy baby! Exactly what I was hoping she'd be!
My boys weren't like that. But at the same time, by 8 months old, they were both crawling!!! So I do feel conflicted and that really bothers me. Part of me thinks, what if she just can't do it and she will get behind if I don't work with her? See my dilemma? The boys started camp last week so last week was my first chance in about 8 weeks to really spend one on one time with her. I decided that I'd work with her until her 9 month check up and if she isn't progressing, I'd ask for a PT evaluation. Fair enough.
8 month update:
Ryane's wearing size 4
diapers during the day and the night. At night she wears a swim diaper over her regular diaper and that has seemed to help the pooptastrophies that happen first thing in the morning. She still fits great into either 6-9 or 6-12 month clothes although I am starting to notice 9 months are looking a little short.
Ryane's naps are pretty consistent and she generally takes 3 1.5 hour naps. Sometimes her 3rd nap is shorter.
She generally goes to bed
between 6-6:30 and sleeps for about 11-12 hours.
Ryane is still LOUD! It's funny to think she's being this loud because she wants to make herself heard. We hear ya, sweet cheeks.
Ryane LOVES to sing! If I am singing or la la-ing to her, she will sing or la la back. Today she was singing to the radio. She also imitates noises like the blender, the coffee maker and the garage door.
She loves to swing too, although lately it's been so hot to go outside.
Ryane is so happy in the pool. She loves to float on her back with her head in the water. When she is put in a floatie, she kicks her feet like crazy.
Ryane still has only 2
bottom teeth but she constantly has her fingers or a toy in her mouth.
She
is happiest sitting on the floor playing with her toys. Since I started working with her a week ago, she has made a little bit of progress physically. If she is sitting, and I'm sitting next to her, she will go from sitting onto her hands (with her hands on my lap). If I support her shoulder in this position, she will tuck her knees under her. She has done this to retrieve a toy a few times, but mostly initiates when she has someone to climb on. If she does this to retrieve a toy, she will immediately flop onto her belly. I can't figure out why she won't keep her knees under her. This morning she tried to pull up on the ottoman from a seated position. She was really close, too. When on her belly, she can quickly wiggle herself around
in a circle but doesn't make much progress going forwards or back. She can
roll both directions easily.
Ryane likes to stand. When she's standing, she turns her body toward me and looks like she is going to take steps to me. With a little help untangling her feet, she attempts that.
She sleeps on her side or her belly. She sleeps holding on to Lucy. She screams when I'm changing her diaper and putting on her sleep sack before her nap. Wow does she scream.
Ryane belly laughs when she's getting tickled or thrown up in the air. She laughs at Kaden and Cam a lot, too.
Ryane still makes a lot of noises. She babbles some, yells, sings, growls and makes noises with her lips or tongue. She imitates often with her mouth.
When asked "Where's Daddy?" she looks around till she finds him.
She LOVES her Daddy. He's the only one she will lay her head on. Cutest. Thing. Ever.
Ryane took a little break from solids (not her choice- I just couldn't remember to feed her) but I broke down and started buying pureed foods. I figured if I didn't have to prepare it, I'd remember to feed her daily! We shall see! She did well on her first day of carrots.
I love this 8 month old girl!


I'm friends with Abby Harris and love to read about your daughter since my baby girl is almost exactly your daughter age (11.8.13).
ReplyDeleteGlad to see my daughter is not the only one not crawling. Big brother had been for a month at this point. But she's also happy sitting playing toys. I too have been working with her. :)
Your daughter is precious!!