Looking back on this year has made me very emotional. I think about last summer and how badly to control which teachers Cam was going to have for pre-k. But something inside me was telling me that I needed to trust that the school knew Cam well enough to put him where he belonged. It took a lot for me not to send an email, a text or request a meeting during the summer before pre-k. I received a call from the director right before school asking if it would be okay with me to put him in a class with new teachers...completely new to the school. I was really hesitant but was reassured with all the wonderful things the director had to say about these teachers. They were going to be fabulous, and based on how she described them, it was worth it to me to give it a try.
I felt like I had betrayed the teachers that I was hopeful Cam would have (Kaden's teachers). As I have said a million times, those teachers could not have made more of a difference in Kaden's life. They had become family to our family- but Cam is not Kaden- and I wanted to trust that the school understood that.
Now Cam is a few days away from pre-k graduation. While this seems like a silly milestone, it makes me very emotional. Cam has grown up at the JCC. He was born while Kaden was in the 2s class and started a Mommy and Me class there when he was around 16 months old. He started going to school there at 19 months in the Toddler class. He was "Kaden's brother" there for awhile but has been the only one of our kids to go there the past two years. He has learned so much throughout the time he has been there- far more than academic skills. Cam has learned great social skills, along with how to be kind to others. He has learned about Jewish studies, prayers, holidays and traditions. He has learned what it takes to be a good friend and how to respect and listen to his teachers. He has loved learning this year. He took pride in every project he brought home.
I owe so much to this fabulous school.
To our school family- I can't thank you enough. Thank you for keeping Cam safe, for preparing him for kindergarten, and for loving him so very much. But most importantly, thank you for instilling in him a love for learning.



No comments:
Post a Comment