Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First day of school

Kaden had "Meet the Teachers" last Friday and school started yesterday.  Meeting the teachers went as expected.  I say that, a bit disappointingly, because I expected that Kaden would be reluctant but I was hoping that things would go really, really well.  The night before I had gone up to the school to meet Kaden's new teachers and see their classroom.  His teachers are so sweet and I brought home a picture of them so he could look at it in the morning before we went.  Friday morning Kaden said that he didn't want new teachers, he didn't want a new class and he didn't want to go to his school.  Oh crap.  I panicked a bit but kept trying to reassure him.  When we got there (Nic was meeting us there), Kaden walked down the hall and as soon as we got to the hall for his new class he hid behind my legs.  As we walked in, he hid behind my legs.  As his new teachers said hi, he hid behind my legs.  By this time, Cam was ready to get down and meet Kaden's teachers!  (He will not have any trouble adjusting... at all).  Slowly Kaden warmed up and after about 20 minutes he was playing, talking and even did an art project. 

We talked about school all weekend.  Monday morning came and I was nervous.  I knew he would cry when I dropped him off.  We walked down the hall, went into the class, washed his hands and I said bye.  He was fine!  Shy, but that's completely Kaden.  He always stands back for a few minutes and watches the other kids before he decides to join in.  I let his teacher know that this was normal and to give him a little time.  At the end of the day, his teacher said he had a great day!  I was so relieved and so excited for him.  What a great adventure.  Kaden told me a little bit about his day (he never goes into much detail).  He was so excited that he gets to take home the mystery bag.  He said they played with balls in the gym, that Mia was the door holder and that he and wanted a shoe like Daniel (a walking boot).

I love his school.  I am so happy with every aspect of it. I feel completely comfortable dropping him off.  I love his teachers.  I love the other parents.  Did I mention I'm the Room Mom this year?? 

After I dropped Kaden off Monday, his teacher was giving all the parents a box of Kleenex with a poem attached:

It's my first day of the J Early Childhood Center,
and I'm excited, aren't you?

I'm going to be just fine, Mom & Dad
and I hope that you are, too.

But if you find you're missing me
and start to shed a tear,

Take this tissue and remember
that I am safe and happy here!

While Kaden was at school, Cam and I were looking for an adventure.  So we ended up at the zoo!






I love all the great adventures we've had so far this week.  I feel blessed.

1 comment: